top of page


For consular services, book through:

In this section, the Embassy will take you through a brief tour of the various permit offered in Malawi. It is important to note that in Malawi, a Visa is only for the purpose of entry where as for the purpose of stay, a permit will be issued to you depending on the purpose of your stay in the country. 

Temporary Residence Permit
This is issued to a visitor with a valid visitors /Business Visit permit who has resided in Malawi for the maximum of 90 days but has a legitimate and justifiable reasons for continued residence.

Temporary Employment Permit
This permit is issued to persons before they enter Malawi for the purpose of taking up specified employment in Malawi.

 Student permit
This is a permit which allows a person to enter Malawi and study at an approved Educational Institution.

Business Residence permit
This is a permit which authorises a person to reside in Malawi for the purpose of carrying on, practicing or engaging in such business, profession or occupation for gain, profit or reward as self –employed person or a partner or proprietor. The permit is valid for 5 years from date of approval and is renewable for successive period of 5 years.

What is a Permanent Residence Permit
It is a permit issued to a person authorising one to reside in Malawi permanently.


How do I apply?

You can apply for the various permits at Immigration offices in Malawi or by visiting 

What do I need to apply for a permit?

There are specific checklists for each individual permit that can be explored here

What if I do not exactly fit in these categories?

There are additional specialist permits that can be offered in relation to the purpose of your stay. Please contact the Embassy for more information

bottom of page